In this episode, we explore what it’s like to raise a child with Aspergers to be as independent as possible, and how to advocate for and alongside them. Carol is an internal medicine physician who has a specialty practice in non-surgical cosmetic procedures. She’s also the host of the Autism Mom MD Podcast, and an amazing advocate for her children and others!
We talk about:
- Raising a son with Aspergers
- Finding the right kind of support for your child
- Learning how to motivate and encourage with the goal of independence
- Navigating driving, medical appointments, college and employment
- Raising expectations and setting the bar high
- Deconstructing and teaching independence skills
- Encouraging self-advocacy
- Partners in Policymaking
- Starting a podcast
- Creating community
- Being an innovator, she is the creator of TheraPearls!
- Creating space for yourself and your marriage
Others who have completed Maryland’s Partners in Policymaking program
Guests who have completed PA’s Partners program